Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Really Really Long Marathon (no just a regular one, but still really long)



Well my big news... I ran, walked, hobbled but completed the Top of Utah marathon held in Cache Valley on September 20. It started at Hardware Ranch up Blacksmith Fork Canyon at 7:00 am. Last spring one of my missionary companions named Kendall Dilling, yes he is the namesake of my son Kendall, convinced me that I could run a marathon. I had started running regularly last July but hadn't run anything longer than 3 miles. So I started training but had to fight through a couple of injuries and a lot of traveling this summer that really messed up my training. However, I did get in one 10 mile run and a lot of 7-8 mile runs. I was really worried about it but my friend gave me a lot of confidence that I could do it.

On Friday night I went out for a big pasta dinner with Kendall Dilling and his friends that came down from Calgary, AB, Canada and then stayed in the hotel with them. Prior to turning in for the night, I set out my stuff and realized that I had left something home. Off we went to the store and fortunately found one open. Crisis adverted!!!

We went to bed early and got up at 4:30 am and walked over to the bus for our ride from Logan up to the starting line 26.2 (the .2 is very annoying) miles away. I started realizing how far it was going to be on the bus ride, not the best way to prepare for a marathon.

Everything was going great with our plan to run for 5 minutes and walk for 1 minute. I felt great all the way to mile 19 when my left quad started cramping up. Our 5-1 changed to a 4-2 and then at mile 22 I told Kendall D. to just go on without me that I was going to be walking for awhile. I walked from 22-25 1/2, trying to run intermittently but it didn't work very well. I did manage to run the last 1/2 mile and passed about 5 people, so I felt pretty good about that. I finished 1407 out of 2129 people at 5 hours 11 minutes.

I have never been so exhausted physically and mentally at the same time in all of my life. It was both a horrible and incredible experience. With a few days of distance and the use of my legs back and can honestly say that I am looking forward to doing it again next year. I know I've told a few people that I wouldn't do it again but it was too close to the situation. With better preparation I am confident that I can do much better.

3 comments:

Charee B Mcclellan said...

well tom i was very proud of you, even when i am overly ticked that we missed you! glad that you are feeling well now and that you may do it again next year. we will prepare better and know what you are wearing and follow you earlier. glad to hear how each kid is doing...sounds like all is great. keep posting, really enjoy reading about all.

Thomas & Cindi blog said...

No problem. Thanks for taking the time to read my gibberish.

Cristi Lou said...

That's awesome that you ran a marathon Tom! Can't believe that you're considering doing another one though! Just don't plan on trying to get me to run with you. he he.